Actor's Theatre of Charlotte (photo George Henricks), Blumenthal Performing Arts (photo 1 Henry McGee), Belk Theater, McGlohon Theater, Booth Playhouse, Knight Theater.
©2014 All Rights Reserved: Columbia, Disney, 20th Century Fox, Sony Pic Classics, Relativity, Weinstein, Screen Gems, Warner Bros, Paramount, A24, Warner Bros, MGM & Columbia, Enthuse, 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros.
THEY WROTE THE SONGS
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY - 1942
THE BUDDY HOLLY STORY - 1978
COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER - 1980
AMADEUS - 1984
BIRD - 1988
THE DOORS - 1991
WALK THE LINE - 2005
- On Q Performing Arts, Inc. announced that the organization has been awarded a $105,000 grant from the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation to engage new Charlotte audiences with culturally diverse theatre offerings by supporting 2014-2016 productions of On Q Performing ArtsCharlotte's premier African-American theatre company. Congratulations!
- Blumenthal Performing Arts announced Mekhai Lee, named Best Actor in the 2014 Blumey Awards, was one of the top three male finalists in the Best Actor category at the 2014 National High School Musical Theater Awards, known as the Jimmy Awards, in New York City on June 30, 2014. Congratulations!
- North Carolina Dance Theatre has changed its name to Charlotte Ballet. .....look here for more
- North Carolina Musicians: Photographs and Conversations by Daniel Coston is now available at Amazon. .....look here
- The Light Factory has news. .....look here for information
- Along with outer theatre and movie events, there's an inner theatre of your brain.
.....Professor Mark Pizzato helps us to understand, look here
- Appalachian Creative Theatre, at UpStage in NoDa throughout 2014. Their season includes: Red Light Winter, and end the year with The Santaland Diaries.
"...I write the songs that make the whole
I write the songs of love and special things
I write the songs that make the young
I write the songs, I write the songs..."
~ Music/Lyrics Bruce Johnston, 1975
A view of the arts in the "style of the moment"
The good news about Sex Tape
is that the actors Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel are in great shape, especially Mr. Segel who has recently lost weight and buffed up slightly. The bad news is that Sex Tape
is not all that sexy or funny. The movie begins as these two, Jay and Annie, meet in college and have an active, make that extremely active, sex life. But with the birth of children and making a living, they've slipped in their attentiveness to each other. The full complement of characters are here
THE GERSHWINS' PORGY AND BESS
During a summer in the 1930s in Charleston, South Carolina, living is easy, according to the folks residing on Catfish Row. Although this was the era of the Great Depression and the unemployment rate was above twenty percent, the Negroes on Catfish Row work hard, play harder, and try to find love in the meantime. The Tony Award-winning production, The Gershwins' Porgy and Bess,
places the audience in the middle of Negro life as they throw dice, sing to bunting babies while
Items of Interest
Weekend Box Office Estimates
July 20, 2014
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes $36M
The Purge: Anarchy $28.3M
Planes: Fire & Rescue $18M
Sex Tape 2 $15M
Transformers: Age of Extinction $10M
22 Jump Street $4.7M
How to Train Your Dragon 2 $3.8M
Earth to Echo $3.2M
It has not been a spectacular summer weekend, but Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
comes in first again. The next three movies on the list are new releases. Sex Tape,
for all the hype, comes in fourth place. Transformers: Age of Extinction
comes in at fifth place. As we move closer to August, a box office slump looks like it may prevail.
New York Times - July 20, 2014
Top Ten Fiction - Combined Print & E-Books
INVISIBLE by James Patterson and David Ellis. (Little, Brown)
TOP SECRET TWENTY-ONE by Janet Evanovich. (Bantam)
THE SILKWORM by Robert Galbraith. (Mulholland/Little, Brown)
BEAUTIFUL OBLIVION by Jamie McGuire. (Atria)
THE CITY by Dean Koontz. (Bantam)
THE GOLDFINCH by Donna Tartt.
THE NEIGHBOR by Dean Koontz.
GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn. (Crown)
SPICE BOX by Raine Miller, Cathryn Fox and others (Various publishers)
MR. MERCEDES by Stephen King. (Scribner)